Synopsis from netflix.com: When a Japanese mining company announces the closure of a coal mine in Iwaki, a group of brave young women defies their community by signing up to become hula dancers at the company's new Hawaiian tourist center in this heartwarming dramedy. Amid union workers' protests and against the wishes of their families, the women passionately practice and perform their newly learned art in hopes that it will lead to a brighter future.
My view: I watched it while babysitting, and the child was asleep. I REALLY liked it. It had the key words "passionately" and "heartwarming." And even better - it included HULA! I would definitely recommend it. And yes, you do have to read subtitles.
Le dîner de cons
Synopsis from netflix.com: A group of French intellectuals gather each Wednesday for the dinner game, where the challenge is to bring along the most idiotic guest each can find. Pierre (Thierry Lhermitte) thinks he's found a ringer in François (Jacques Villeret), a civil servant whose passion is making architectural models out of matchsticks. But Pierre gets more than he bargained for when François becomes his houseguest -- and nursemaid!Our view: LOVED it! Yes, you do have to read subtitles, but it was pretty funny. DH really liked it. DH talked to one of his friends from France about the movie, and he said it was his favorite movie and the actors are all really famous French actors. We liked it!

Antonia's Line (Netherlands?)
Synopsis from netflix.com: Winner of the 1995 Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film and many other prestigious international honors, Antonio's Line is the remarkable story of a woman who builds a new life with her daughter in a quiet Dutch village after World War II. Earthy, sexy, romantic and filled with laughter and warmth, it's a joyous, multi-generational celebration of simple pleasures and enduring passions.
My views: When they mean sexy, they mean sexy. This movie had a lot of sex and death in it. It was interesting, but I don't think I'd watch it again.

Oyster Farmer (Australia)
Synopsis (from netflix.com) : Down-on-his-luck drifter Jack Flange (Alex O'Lachlan) heads to a secluded oyster-farming community to wait for a parcel of stolen cash that he's mailed to himself. But the package never arrives, and Jack suspects a beautiful postal worker named (what else?) Pearl (Diana Glenn) may be responsible for its disappearance. Anna Reeves directs this quirky but charming romance set along Australia's Hawkesbury River.
Our views: Ok, but not my favorite. Had one scene that made me blush and I watched it by myself. I don't think I'd recommend it.
HWotD:
mele - music, song
"meh-leh"
Our views: Ok, but not my favorite. Had one scene that made me blush and I watched it by myself. I don't think I'd recommend it.
HWotD:
mele - music, song
"meh-leh"


1 comment:
Dude! That Hula Girls documentary is from a water park called "Spa Hawaiian." I've been there many times! Iwaki was quite close to where I worked, and my boss's wife was OBSESSED with hula. Obsessed. And also, they had great Dippin' Dots there.
Weird. I totally need to watch that thing.
Post a Comment