Saturday, April 12, 2008

Overheard at school this week...

Yes, you can come to my house. I have Buzz Lightyear.


No elbows on the table. (said by student)
What do elbows do? (said by teacher)
They make muscles. (said by student while flexing like this)


Excuse me, teacher.
Yes, student? (I hate it when kids don't know my name. I've been there since August.)
I think one of those kids are bothering my note (aka piece of paper). I put it on the ground and they stole it. (Sitll holding the note. Turning to other students) Guys, I telled on you.
(I think he is the male version of Junie B.)


Really? Can I have it tonight? Please daddy, can I have some squid tonight? I'll be good, I promise!



So, like we so often do, we asked one of the students what he wants to be when he grows up. He responded, "A neesaw." Great. Anyone have any idea what a neesaw is? We asked him where he saw a neesaw. "It was on tv." I asked every question imaginable, going way beyond 20 questions. All I figured out was that it wasn't a teacher, doctor, pilot, fisherman, dancer, athlete, pastor, jockey, dentist, chef, baker, soldier, ship captain (I tried ;) !) , farmer, mailcarrier, grocer, or any other thing I could think of. It would have been easy if he was a girl - girls at that age want to be princesses when they grow up (at least in my school). All you have to do is guess the vintage - Snow White, Cinderella, Ariel, Jasmine... But anyway, I took Mark to our director who has dealt with kids for years and has the same southern drawl as this student. She asked him what "neesaws" wear. With no luck. The most we could get out of him was that they jump on buildings... but not off buildings. Any guesses as to what he wants to be when he grows up???



HWotD:
huinahā paʻa pilipā - trapezoid
"hoo-ee-nah-haaah paah-aaah pee-lee-paaah"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A dinosaur?