Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Blue skies on sunshine mountain...

First of all, thanks for the advice about the dress. I got it. Hopefully it looks cute on me :) Otherwise, I'll get to start this whole shebang all over again, and dh will not be thrilled about that.

In case you need a little help figuring out who to vote for in this election, you can check out this handy-dandy website to match you with your ideal candidate. My highest compatibility with any candidate was 48%. That does not bode well for me this election.

I grew up in the church, and I wouldn't trade that foundation for anything. There were a few things that I still can't figure out though. Namely, I can't come to a conclusion about what a few songs mean.

Exhibit 1:
CLIMB SUNSHINE MOUNTAIN

Climb, climb up sunshine mountain
Heavenly breezes blow
Climb, climb up sunshine mountain
Faces all aglow

Turn, turn from sin and sorrow
Look to God on high
Climb, climb up sunshine mountain
You and I

Exhibit 2:
BLUE SKIES AND RAINBOWS
Blue skies and rainbows and sunbeams from heaven
Are what I can see when my Lord is living in me

I know that Jesus is well and alive today
He makes His home in my heart
Never more will I be all alone since He
Promised me that we never would part

I just don't get it. I know that not every song needs to be steeped in theological gems, but these are just beyond me. I don't get them. And who thinks everything is going to be perfect once you become a Christian? And yet, my kids ask to sing them all of the time at preschool...

3 comments:

E Caley Ferguson said...

I think, basically, that Jesus is very pro-hiking. He spent an inordinate time on mountains, after all.

There you go. No theology. Just exercise.

Wait, that's heaven? Crap.

E Caley Ferguson said...

Okay - regarding your handy-dandy website, I found some of the rhetoric interesting.

Ex: "family values in school" - who's going to say you're AGAINST values? In reality, when you parse out that statement later, supporting this statement means that you think there should be organized, teacher-led prayer in public schools.

It did give me accurate information about who I currently support in the presidential race, but it sure made me feel immoral :) Apparently I'm against morality and in favor of international chaos and economic disintegration. Woo-hoo!

Swiss Ms. said...

Do I have to even say it? I've had this thought before, about this very song. I'm mad at my childhood for permanently implanting it into my head.