Friday, January 25, 2008

Porridge?

Because it's A. Norris here (all you HC people should get that joke - get it A Norris "Freezin"?), I decided to take a break from my lovely quilted Christmas tree skirt and make something I learned how to make in 7th grade Home Economics (thanks Mrs. Stanislaw!). I made a heating pad/pouch/bag/thing. Basically, you take a piece of fabric, fold it in half, sew three sides of it, pour rice inside, and heat it in the microwave. I currently think it's one of the best things I've ever made, particularly because it was in single digit temperatures here last night. It gets cold, this keeps me warm.

The first night I made it, I took it to bed, and DH was appalled by the smell. He couldn't figure out what it smelled like, and then said, "It smells like the stuff you eat for breakfast." I eat oatmeal for breakfast (warm oatmeal because it's a cold winter), and I suppose you could call it porridge. (Visions of the Three Bears and Goldilocks as well as Oliver Twist are what appear when I think of the word porridge. "Please sir, may I have some more?")

Anyway, for the last few nights, I've put what is now deemed "porridge" into the microwave for 3 minutes while I do my nightly ablutions. After it's done, I tuck it down into bed by my feet and occasionally feel dh's feet cozy up next to its warmth. I do wish I could do something about the smell though. It does smell like rice!!

Here's "porridge"


This is the quilted Christmas tree skirt I'm making (still making, and it's almost February. Gee, I'm early for next year...).


It's in the "ulu" pattern - breadfruit! There are 4 sets that look like this in a ring around the skirt. I think it looks like reindeer too.
And here's a new hula that I'm learning.

3 comments:

E Caley Ferguson said...

That hula is beautiful. Really beautiful. And I completely know the smell you're talking about. I used to have a very ugly floral frog with beady glass eyes that served the same purpose. Now I know how to replicate the odd-smelling ricey warmth sans beady eyes! Thanks, friend.

Also, the tree skirt looks lovely.

Also, it was lovely to talk to you yesterday.

Katie said...

You go girl! You are too cute!
We went to Hidden Mt Resort (hiddenmountain.com) in Sevierville, near the national park for our honeymoon. It was very nice and pretty close to all the major attractions. A vacation sounds like a good idea! We might get a mini one to NYC next month.

Kathleen said...

I LOVE YOUR HULA-ing!!!! Boy, that is just the coolest thing! I'm so impressed!