Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Afternoon wedding in California in late March.

Goodness, one of my worst nightmares is figuring out what to wear to weddings. I hate trying to find a dress, and I debate forever with myself about what is appropriate. Especially when it comes to dh and his family. I feel like they all are perfect and I'm not. Or, at the absolute least, I'm the only one who shows I'm not perfect.

Ok, so dh's brother is getting married in California. It's an afternoon wedding. It'll be late March. The bridesmaids are wearing this dress (shown below) in black. It's black, but it's short.
Dh will be a groomsman. What should I wear?

I'm ever the Dutch girl, and was looking through other JCrew dresses, namely from the sale sections... Any opinions about this one? It comes in black or brown in my size.
Or should I just go with something fun and colorful?

Someone, please answer me! Where do you go to get your special occasion dresses? Or should I just visit a therapist and not worry about it so much?

6 comments:

Swiss Ms. said...

Well, since you've never seen me and we've not yet established ourselves to be fashion soulmates, I imagine this advice will be suspect. I could be the black tapered leg jeans and big rhinestone belt kind of person, for all you know. Please take my opinion with a grain of salt.

But I love this dress! If you stick with brown, no one will confuse you with the bridesmaids. I myself am always tempted to find something considered FUN! for special occasions such as these but I find I am much happier with something classic. They photograph nicely and age well. AND this is a great deal!

Atticus Pf said...

Swiss Ms in a rhinestone belt. Oh man, where's my polaroid camera at?
Hmmmm. you both hate shopping for wedding apparel. I'm beginning to actually suspect that you are not blogging soulmates but actually the same person.

Maybe you are two sides of the same person like Jessica and Niki Sanders from Heroes. Maybe DH and I are are two sides of the same coin too. This is bizzaro superman all over again!

Ellen said...

The joys of in-laws. ugh.

The J. Crew dress is very cute, I think it would be perfect! I think you could safely go with something brighter, too, if you wanted. Good luck!

Beth said...

I like the JC crew too. Especially if the price is right! But you'll look beautiful in whatever you wear :)

Amy Carroll said...

Yep, I'm also of the opinion of the JC dress. Another idea to spice up the dress with a little color, would be to find some pretty fabric to tie around the middle. Instant cute!

Katie @ the terpblog said...

Finding a dress for a wedding where your husband is a groomsman is the WORST! (Closely followed by finding-something-to-wear-to-your-class-reunino.) I hope you are happy with your dress...remember that brown is the new black :)