Saturday, August 2, 2008

August Updates

We're still here in Florida. We had thought about heading west today, but it ended up not working out. I'm a little disappointed because if we could have made it, I could have gotten to see the Bertholf commissioning. I thought it would have been cool; dh thought it was "just another 45minute ship commissioning..." But we're here, and it'll be good to spend a few more days with dh's family before we're gone for such a long time.

In other CG-related news, dh made the next rank - woohoo!!!

Also, travel claims stink. I mean, talk about bureaucracy at its worst (hahaha no offense Jen, my bureaucratic friend). It seems that the CG doesn't know what to do with us - first by being in grad school. They had no idea what to do with dh for his internship this summer... it's been horrible trying to get all of our paperwork done to go abroad because he doesn't have access to CG computers and therefore the CG networks. Grrr... paperwork stinks, but we think we're finally working it all out.

It's hard to imagine that in less than a week, we'll be in Australia! I still feel very under-prepared for it, and perhaps that's best. And the parts that I'm thinking about are quite trivial. Current thought going through my mind "remember to get measuring cups and spoons from the exchange because you don't really want to deal with the whole metric conversion stuff." Yeah, moving to another country and I'm worried about having to convert 500 grams of flour into something I already know.

DH and I drove a few hours and went to visit his grandmother in her nursing home. She has a cool story - she is Australian and met dh's grandfather (a storekeeper in the Army) when he was stationed over there in WWII. They fell in love, married, and then he was transferred back to the states. She took a warship to the states (I think it was norwegian?) and set up her life here. It's really quite interesting, I think. These days she lives in a nursing home and has advanced Alzheimer's Disease. It was neat though that when we visited, she got very excited to have people there to visit her, and we actually saw little moments of the true Nana dh grew up with.

I'm going to add some more pictures to the days below. I like to look back and remember what happened.

Sorry for the rants...

3 comments:

Atticus Pf said...

cooks best friend when abroad!

http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking

Heather said...

I love all your Florida pictures. I've never been, but I know I would love it! Have a safe trip-can't wait to read about all your adventures abroad.

Amy Carroll said...

I still can't believe you are moving to Australia! Your travels have just been incredible. I can imagine it's going to be tough being so far away from loved ones, but thank goodness for this wonderful internet to stay connected. I look forward to seeing your pictures as you settle into your lives together there!