Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Happy (belated) Coast Guard Day

Happy Belated Coast Guard Day!

We finally made it to San Francisco yesterday and celebrated CG day by touring the Bertholf and the exchange :) (yes, I did marry dh for the exchange privileges). Pictures of the Bertholf to come later. It's a pretty ship, very streamlined, and almost Navy-like (spaces are enclosed, rather than open like on 378's). I liked it. It makes me laugh though - a brand new ship, they *just* got it to SF and they're going to have to send it to drydock. I guess it's to work out the kinks of the first ship in its class... but still. Drydock before really being underway?

I'm excited today to see Dan & Dee, our Navy League friends from Hilo. They were here to watch the commissioning (and got tickets for us) but we flew in just as the ceremony started. (Secretly I think dh was happy about missing the ceremony, but whatever.) We're going to meet up with them today and also putz around San Francisco. I don't want to do anything stressful - just enjoy the last few days on American soil. We're getting really excited for our next big adventure :)

No comments: