We visited with dh's great-uncle John today. We really like him. He's the "grandfather" dh never had, and we're really excited to be close to him. He is trying to convert us into Bulldogs fans. I'm a bad rugby fan (and have no idea what the difference is between Rugby LEAGUE and Rugby UNION) and I have no idea if the Bulldogs are in the League or in the Union... oops... Well anyway, he gave us each a Bulldogs scarf and they're kinda cute (the scarves, but probably the players too ;) lol).
Still have no idea about internet access. We're at an internet cafe now, which is actually really cheap. Heaps cheaper than the stinking mobile phone. I'm hoping to get a phone too one of these days. DH has one, and since we're together all the time now, it will suffice. But holy cow, his phone number is like 11 digits long. ELEVEN. We picked it because it ends in 411. Yeah, whatever that means.
We're hanging out with cousin Louisa and her uber-cool husband Reuben tonight at some art thing (dh's words, not mine). They're the godsends that are helping us here - we really have no idea what we'd do without them. Plus, Reuben has the best American accent when he tries. It's quite hilarious. They're a fantastic couple. Thanks Lou!!!
One of the funniest things about watching the Olympics in Australia is that they have nicknames for each of their sports teams. Like the "Kookaburras" are their fieldhockey team. The Opals are their womens basketball team. The Ollieroos are... I forget. Tonight, the Boomers are playing the US Dream Team. I find it funny that Aussies refer to our basketball team as the dream team. That still conjures up pictures of Jordan and Bird and Magic in my mind... ah, the good old days...
Hmm, what else? Oh, the best idea we had while traveling was to get a bag (literally like a plastic grocery bag full) of snacks at the commissary before we left the US. We got sweet, fruity, salty, and chocolaty snacks (not all in one, that would be gross) and had them to eat on the plane. But then, when we arrived, we had them to snack on throughout the first few weeks. We found ourselves to be really hungry in the morning (due to jet lag) and starving an hour after breakfast. We could just sneak back to our room and have a granola bar and not be rude to our hosts. It was one of the best things we did, I think.
We're slowly catching on to the Australian accent. I mean, we can understand all that they're saying, but I'm getting a little closer to being able to imitate it. Closer. Still a long way to go. But we went out with Uncle John today, and he and his wife were cracking jokes and we had no idea what they meant... we were just clueless.
Good news - we and both cats are still alive. We're pet-sitting, which gives us free rent. I had thought that I could be both a cat and a dog person. This has taught me otherwise. At this point, we're peacefully coexisting. Sometimes not peacefully. Like when I'm cooking and they're jumping on the counter. But, I'm slowly getting used to them, and who knows, if this continues at the same pace on the dislike to like continuum, I may like cats by the end of the few weeks.
Well, we're headed off to the gallery. One of these days I'll post pictures - it's pretty cool here. Beijos!
No comments:
Post a Comment