Sunday, August 17, 2008

Alive... and apparently posing as faculty

Well, I'm currently posting from a lounge at dh's new business school. Fortunately for us, the sign just says "lounge" but I have the feeling that it's really a faculty/staff lounge, mainly by the looks we get when people pass by. (Ha! Little do they know I was a professor once.)

We have arrived in our new city, and are slowly starting to figure things out. I guess we're doing pretty well, as we arrived on Saturday and it's now Monday afternoon.

Things we have done successfully thus far:
- taken the tram to school
- found a good restaurant with a killer french toast breakfast
- gone grocery shopping
- gone out for a walk three times and found our way back to our flat
- made dinner ourselves

Things we have not done successfully thus far:
- figured out how to use the oven at our flat
- signed up for a cell phone plan/ gotten cell phones
- figured out where to go for internet access (we can't get on a wireless network at home and we hear it's crazy-expensive)
- figured out how to keep the cats that we're pet-sitting from making lots of noise at night

Oh, get this. Wombats are pretty cool animals. And by cool, I mean their poo is cube-shaped. And a group of them is called a wisdom. That's pretty nifty, eh?

It's really starting to sink in that we're living here, not just vacationing.

Well, we just got kicked out. More to come later.

2 comments:

Amy Carroll said...

cube-shaped poo?! That totally makes me laugh!

Glad to hear that you're starting to get settled into your new home...although it definitely sounds like there will be some adjustments! What does one do without high-speed wireless?

Anne said...

I love reading about your Aussie adventures! Where exactly are you? I spent a few weeks in Cairns, up on the NE coast, in N. Queensland. Whatever you do, don't eat the Vegemite!