Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Movie Tuesday




Bella

Netflix.com synopsis: Two lost souls, Nina (Tammy Blanchard), a pregnant, unmarried waitress, and Jose (Eduardo Verástegui), an introspective yet troubled cook with a mysterious past, find solace in each other as their lives become unpredictably linked throughout the course of one incredible day. An uplifting story of love, hope and forgiveness, this remarkable tale is co-written and directed by Alejandro Gomez Monteverde.

My view: A feel-good movie that I could watch with my mom. It was entertaining. Eduardo Verástegui was a telenovela star and is hot. I thought the movie was cute, but not the most fabulous movie I've ever seen.



27 Dresses

Netflix.com synopsis: Tired of being a perpetual bridesmaid after helping 27 friends tie the knot, altruistic Jane (Katherine Heigl) finds herself facing her worst nightmare as her younger sister (Malin Akerman) announces her engagement to the man Jane secretly adores. But when Jane meets the charming Kevin (James Marsden), will she beat her sibling to the altar? Edward Burns and Judy Greer also star in this breezy romantic comedy from director Anne Fletcher.

My view: Very cute and exactly the chick-flick-goodness I was hoping for when I ordered it online. I don't think DH would have stood for it, but he was gone when I watched it. I thought it was adorable.



Mostly Martha

Netflix.com synopsis: German director Sandra Nettelbeck whips up this tragicomic tale about an uptight professional chef who finds her world turned upside down when she takes in her newly orphaned niece, Lina (Maxime Foerste). Martina Gedeck stars as Martha, whose obsession with precision gourmet cooking extends to discussing recipes with her bewildered therapist (August Zirner) and verbally attacking anyone at the restaurant who attempts to send her food back.

My view: Good, but not great. A good story, not violent, mostly relational - you know, the kind of movie I like. I was kind of annoyed by the music, though. I thought it sounded like elevator muzak. I think I have seen the movie before too. It was a good story though. Also, if you don't want to watch the foreign version, check out No Reservations. It has nearly the same plot, and nearly the exact same dialogue in the first half.



The Namesake

Netflix.com synopsis: While he respects his immigrant parents (Irfan Khan and Tabu) and their decision to rear him in his United States birthplace, Gogol Ganguli (Kal Penn) is torn between Indian traditions and the modern Bostonian lifestyle. Jacinda Barrett and Zuleikha Robinson also star in director Mira Nair's thought-provoking coming-of-age drama, which explores first-generation Americans' delicate dance between culture and identity.

My view: LOVED it. I thought it was a great story and helped me understand the Indian culture more, as well as was very relevant to my ever-transition-filled life. I highly recommend it.



Jean de Florette and Manon of the Spring

Netflix.com synopsis: Claude Berri directs this pair of award-winning French dramas. In Jean de Florette, two men (Yves Montand and Daniel Auteuil) scheme to acquire a neighboring farm by preventing a natural spring from flowing, a water source that the new owner, Jean (Gérard Depardieu), needs for his crops. In Manon of the Spring, Jean's grown daughter (Emmanuelle Beart) goes after the two men with a fierce vengeance worthy of her proud and courageous heritage.

My view: Oh, I seriously messed up with this movie. I didn't realize that there were actually two movies on one disc - one on each side. I don't know what I was thinking, if you read the description there are two movies. I guess I just didn't realize that they were sequential. I ended up watching Manon first, and being kind of confused. It was good, but I didn't want to see the first one after I had watched the second. There are better foreign films out there, but you could definitely see worse too.


Shark Mountain

Netflix.com synopsis: For years, the husband-and-wife team of Howard and Michele Hall have devoted their lives to documenting the mysteries of maritime life. This fascinating episode from the popular series produced by Nature takes viewers to Coco's Island, located in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, where schools of sharks gather beneath the surface amid other sea beasts in a magical, mystical world never before witnessed by the human eye.


My view: I found this movie to be more about the Halls and their process than sharks. It had really cool reef shots and talked about how fragile the ocean ecosystem is. I found my new favorite fish - a red lipped batfish. It's not really my favorite, but it's extremely fun to say and a pretty funky fish. Frogfish are strange too.

No comments: