To keep myself mildly busy (but still have plenty of time for creating fun crafty projects and relaxing), I have been working through a temporary agency. I've found that it works pretty well with our moving schedule and sometimes can pay pretty decent. They can propose an assignment to me, and I can either reject it or accept it. Very nice. Plus, unlike subbing, they usually call me a few days in advance instead of at 5am on the morning of... a definite bonus!
My first assignment was a 2-day gig, working as a receptionist. My last job was 2 weeks (fortunately one of them was a 4-day week!) as a receptionist at a law firm. A law firm that handles a lot of divorces.
Here's what I've learned:
- Divorces are expensive, and often ugly, hurtful and painful. Avoid them at all costs because it is a great cost - on so many levels.
- Details are important.
- Even if you're paid less than what you might think you deserve, you can still do a good job. And it might come back to make you more money one day. Or not. Who knows? But sometimes a job well done is satisfaction enough.
- There's a reason lawyers charge so much money for every email, phone call, and appointment - if they didn't, they'd never go home.
- A kind word can go a long way. Try to look for little opportunities to make someone else's day - it kind of becomes a little game (especially when you're not busy at work) and is really fun.
1 comment:
Thank you! Thank you! I wish more people understand all of that. Hope your gig is enjoyable, despite the sadness and bitterness domestic relations law can breed. It's amazing I'm married sometimes. LOL
Post a Comment