I'm debating whether or not I should get a flu shot. CO gets one each year, on the first day he can get them. He swears by them. I, on the other hand, have never gotten one, and haven't really gotten sick before.
Enter this year. I'm pregnant.
According to my doctor, pregnant women are more susceptible to getting the flu, and if they do get it, they usually get it more severely than a "normal person." Great. She can't make me get it, but she can highly suggest it.
I'm worried about the effects of getting the shot. Could it be bad for baby? Is it worth the chance I'd be achy for a few days afterward? Should I be nervous it'd be from a military hospital?
What do you think? Is it worth it? Should I get it?
7 comments:
I got the shot both times I was pregnant. The Dr assured me it was safe for the baby--more risk not to get one. But of course, it's up to you. Good luck!
You know, normally I do not get flu shots either. And I didn't get one with the dutchkid, so you can take this with a grain of salt... but this year? This year I'd get one. I plan on getting one myself and the kiddo has already gotten her flumist. Mostly because I want us to be as healthy as absolutely possible in case we end up having to fight off the H1N1. We're exposed to more school germs, both of us, this year. You're not, so if you're worried about the shot itself, you might be able to limit your exposure enough to be ok.
I just got one last week and was able to ask for one that was thimerisol (mercury) free. My arm was achy for a day or so, but it wasn't bad. I feel the same way as you. I didn't want inject something unnecessary into my body, but I also didn't want to deliver early because I ended up with the flu (my cousin had that happen to her this year). Good luck with your decision!
i have escaped the flu and being sick while pregnant and i was in the next office to a guy who had swine flu- maybe the ammune system is stronger while preggo?? lou x
I always have this debate (minus the baby complication) myself! Maybe it would help to think about which scenario you would regret the most? Good luck decidin'!
I was 11 weeks pregnant last year when I got my flu shot. My Dr was all for it.
Have a read: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/02/health/02flu.html?hp
Post a Comment