Thursday, January 22, 2009

Sneaky Sneaky

We go to a huge church here in the South. CO and I looked around last Saturday (we go to a Saturday night service to avoid the crowds) and were still overwhelmed by how many people were there. We really miss our old churches - Cape Cod Vineyard, Elevate, and the Docklands Church. There's just something about a small church that makes us feel recognized, loved, and part of something... I don't know how to describe it. Yes, the bigger churches have ways to be more involved, but often it comes quicker in smaller churches.

We've been here about a year and a half now (minus the six months in Australia), and have been going to the same church since February of last year. And we've never joined a small group because you have to be a member first. And being a member requires commitment (as well it should). But, with CO in school and the church being a 30-40 minute drive away, it was hard for us to commit to much more than weekly services.

Until now. Our upstairs neighbor told me about a Bible Study going on in our neighborhood, and that sounded good to me. Turns out it's at our church. And I signed up for it. I'm still not quite sure if I'm allowed to go. Wait - yes, I just said that! I'm not sure if I'm allowed to go to a Bible Study!! No one asked if I was a member, so maybe their requirement is for their House Groups/Small Groups/whatever they're called, but anyway, I sure felt sneaky!

No comments: