Sunday, January 11, 2009

Loyalty

I don't know what it is, but I have some unnatural attachment to whatever grocery store I patronize. It could be that we move so often the grocery store is one place I can kind of get attached to - I end up going there at least 2-3 times per week, sometimes more. After all, that is even more frequently than we go to church...

Anyway, we have a few different options for grocery stores here in the South. We have Harris Teeter (expensive but good produce), Kroger (good price, very close, valet valet?!? parking), and Publix (expensive, but what CO grew up with, and a thirty minute drive). All three are chain stores, and Kroger is pretty good, so we've been going there. There are actually two Krogers that are probably the same distance away from each other and we refer to them as "our Kroger" and "the ghetto Kroger." The ghetto Kroger is in the worse part of town and has a completely different aura about it. It attracts a different social strata. The produce isn't quite as nice. The store is dirtier. We don't go to that one very often, elitists that we are... ;)

This week, we're getting a new Publix which is about a block closer than the Kroger. Publix is sometimes a little more expensive than Kroger most of the time, but has good sales. CO LOVES Publix. Loves them. But strangely enough, I feel some loyalty to Kroger, who has been there for me. How can I switch from the grocery store I know and love to another? Perhaps I'll go there to visit, but I still want my Kroger to be my grocer.

3 comments:

Jen said...

I'd go Kroger, even if the Publix opened a block from your house. (Mostly because I hate that name!) And because I am incredibly loyal, too. Or stuck in a rut. I suppose you could look at it however you want to.

Anonymous said...

Did you know that the Owen's next to Huntington College(University) is a Kroger store? Maybe your loyalty goes back to college

Ellen said...

Oh no, I'm with CO on this one. I love me some Publix. They even do the "mystery coupon" how can you not love that? Of course I am unendingly faithful to the commissary now since it's so close... so I'm rarely ever at Publix anymore :(