Tuesday, September 30, 2008

It's a small world...

Yesterday I was watching the morning news while getting ready and one of the stories talked about Michigan. They did the little tag and mentioned violence in Michigan. I rolled my eyes, thinking CO had more fuel for his Michigan teasing, but kept the tv on that station, my curiousity piqued. As it turned out, there was a story about a little town called Grand Rapids (lol) and a pillow fight held there over the weekend. I kept watching, scanning the crowd for familiar faces. How strange to be in Melbourne, hearing news about GR!

And then, yesterday on the train, I sat next to a couple of Brazilian women and their children. I got to practice my Portuguese. I'm getting kind of rusty at speaking - the words don't come to mind as quickly as they used to :( but I held my own and could converse pretty well. Funny that out of a whole train, I sat next to them!

2 comments:

Amy Carroll said...

Friends of mine were at that pillow fight! How strange indeed!

And how I wish you had known Portuguese before I traveled to Portugal...I could have asked for a few well-known phrases!

Ellen said...

That's wild that it was in GR, even. And I had no idea you spoke Portuguese!