One of the questions we get asked the most is what is different between the US and Australia.
I think these are our main answers:
- Coffee/Cafe culture - Australians, particularly Melburnians are really crazy about coffee/tea. There are sanctioned breaks in the morning and afternoon for tea. Melbourne is full of cute cafes and coffee shops. It's really cool to visit different ones.
- Kind of along with that is NOT TIPPING - It's kind of nice to have everything included in the meal price, tax, gratuities, and all. It's hard to get used to though, I feel like I'm being rude every time I don't leave anything.
- Tax is included in the listed price. Yup, if a sign says $8.95, that's it! You don't end up paying an extra 9% tax!! Woohoo!
- Kind of along with that is NOT TIPPING - It's kind of nice to have everything included in the meal price, tax, gratuities, and all. It's hard to get used to though, I feel like I'm being rude every time I don't leave anything.
- Tax is included in the listed price. Yup, if a sign says $8.95, that's it! You don't end up paying an extra 9% tax!! Woohoo!
- Heat - It doesn't get as cold here as it does in, say, Michigan. But fewer places have heat. That makes it really cold.
- Clothes dryers - Every American has one. No where we've been in Oz has them. Except maybe this one laundromat we saw once... And FYI, towels take a REALLY long time to dry!
- The whole "left side" thing - People drive on the left side of the road here. This means the steering wheel is on the RIGHT side, and the passenger's side is on the left. When you cross the street, you look right then left. You have to be on the correct side of the road when getting a tram because its doors open on the left (curb-side) in the direction of travel. People walk on the left side of the sidewalk. Up escalators are on the left side, instead of the right. It affects more than you think. Nothing too crazy... just kind of unnerving.
- Things here can kill you. Well, sharks, spiders, and snakes in particular. Not so much the Melburnians themselves. We saw an exhibit about "Surviving Australia" when we were in Sydney, now I'm all jumpy about things.
- Fewer chain stores/restaurants - well, aside from the 7-11's on every corner, and the occasional Subway, Pizza Hut, and Domino's Pizza, there aren't too many chain restaurants. This is really fun to figure out what things we like and which we don't. Grocery stores are chains... but that's ok. But then again, without chain stores, it's hard to know which stores have good quality and which ones don't... but it's an adventure!
5 comments:
Just thought I'd let you know, my chocolate arrived to today! :0) YUMMY! Thanks for the fun prize. I love getting mail. I felt extra special to be getting mail from down under. Glad to read that things are going fairly well for you. I liked reading this post on the cultral differences. Very interesting.
My chocolate arrived today too...what an unexpected treat!! I tore right into the chocolate caramel koalas to enjoy them :)
Thank you so much! That made my day :)
I, too, enjoy reading about the cultural differences. Oh, must ask..have you tried veggiemite (sp??) yet and could you explain what it is?
the other difference is that we dont have peanut chocloate bars or lucky charms for under 13 bucks!
Your description isn't of "different" but of "normal!!".. well at least for me! We used to have regular tea breaks at work and as for tax being included, it just makes sooo much sense! It's making me homesick for the other side of the world to you!
Oh! And vegemite rocks although not quite as much as its superior - Marmite. It's best on toast with lots of butter... mmmmm!
Post a Comment