Thursday, March 20, 2008

Who??

Dh came home from school the other day and told me the name of one of his professors. I gasped in awe, and asked, "for real?" in my best valley girl impression. And sure enough, his professor's name is Edmund Fitzgerald. For those of you (aka my sisters) who haven't spent the last few years of their lives obsessing over maritime history (and really, maritime museums are a good idea for family vacation activites), Edmund Fitzgerald was the name of the ship that was lost in one of the most famous Great Lakes shipwrecks.

I've been intrigued by this for the past few days and have looked up more details about the wreck from some of the the most reliable sources known to man, including my favorite, wikipedia. And this paragraph reminded me of so much: "A documentary created and aired by the Discovery Channel investigated a large "fold" found in the hull plating... Through the use of wave tanks and computer simulation, the Discovery Channel team concluded the loss of the SS Edmund Fitzgerald was due to a Rogue wave." Oh yes! I remember now! Also on our family vacation, I made/encouraged my sisters watch the aforementioned Discovery Channel program. Hence my new-found fear of rogue waves.

Also on the wikipedia entry, it says that "Coast Guard Cutter Woodrush [the cutter who was sent to the scene] was replaced by a brand new buoy tender in 2001, USCGC Maple. On her maiden voyage, the Maple visited the final resting place of the Edmund Fitzgerald and dropped the last Woodrush life ring down to the wreck."

I love stuff like this! Perhaps I'll see if Netflix has any documentaries about it and I can add it to my queue.

1 comment:

Amie B said...

I knew what Edmund Fitzgerald was right away Jules. =) I too have visited there many times on family vacation (in fact- did we go there the year you came with us to the UP?)and I believe I have even seen the documentary. And this is why we are friends after 10 years apart =)