Wednesday, March 12, 2008

I'm a Yankee...

and I know it.

Well, I'm a midwesterner first, and overall, I guess that makes me a Yankee. I'm not Southern, and I don't think the word "belle" could ever be used to describe me. And I'm cool with that. My dh is a Navy brat, and his parents are both military brats, but somehow the South still comes out in them.

For example:
Dh's mom wants her grandkids to call her Mamaw. That means my children will grow up saying "Mamaw." I hadn't ever heard of that before. I guess those of you Hannah Montana fans (the general majority of my readers - j/k) know that she had a grandmother visit from the South and Hannah called her Mamaw.

Personally, I think it sounds weird for me to say it in my Midwestern accent. It just doesn't flow naturally out of my mouth.

But somehow, after spending a week in the Smokies, it sounds better to me. Maybe I just had the time to mull it over, and realized it wasn't that big of a deal. Maybe it was having the chance to talk it out with my sister and friend. Maybe I realized after talking to a clerk who put on a t-shirt "should of went" that Mamaw isn't that bad. Maybe I saw my mom with her granddaughters (not my children) and realized whatever they call their grandmother, nana, mamaw, vovo... the love will still be there. Who knows... but whatever it was, I am ok with it.

1 comment:

Anne said...

Yikes! I don't think I could be ok with Mamaw either. Another reason I do not enjoy the south!!