I've been making Martha's Crazy Cake for decades. I mean, literally, since I was in elementary school. I even got a blue ribbon for making this for a fair at my school. It's good stuff.
Unfortunately, I have no idea what the name of the book was that we got it from. I can tell you that the book was yellow, paperback, and not very thick (50 pages or less). If you can find it, please let me know and I will cite it properly. Apparently someone else got their baking inspiration from that cake too - you can find Jackie here.
So the story goes that "crazy cakes" were popular during the depression (or was it the war?) because they don't use eggs or butter in the batter (gasp! Don't worry. They make up for it in sugar.)
Here's the recipe.
Martha's Crazy Cake
1 1/2 c. flour
1 c. sugar
2 - 2 1/2 Tbsp. cocoa
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
5 Tbsp salad oil (I use vegetable)
2 tsp vinegar
1 tsp vanilla
1 c. cold water
Turn the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Put flour, sugar, cocoa, salt, and baking soda in the pan (I use an 8" by 8" square pan, but as long as the size is similar go for it). Stir with fork until well mixed. Use the fork to make 3 holes, or wells, in the flour mixture. Pour the oil into one hole. Pour the vinegar into the second hole (actually I save this for third because it fizzes!). Pour the vanilla into the third hole. Pour the water on top. Mix together with the fork, mix well. Bake for 20-25 minutes.*
* The time of baking is kind of tricky. I almost always end up with a soggy cake center. My new "test" is to jiggle the cake, and if the center doesn't wiggle back, it's done.
I made this today with the 5-year old girl I have started to babysit. She liked making it, and dh and I enjoyed eating it! Yay for kid-friendly recipes! (well, minus the sugar. She left by the time it kicked in ;) lol).
1 comment:
That little yellow book brings back so many memories--too bad my mom got rid of it a few years ago. Thanks sooo much for the recipe-I thought it was lost forever!! Jackie
Post a Comment