Saturday, October 6, 2007

Exams... yuck! Carbonara... yummy!

I'm glad I don't have to take or give exams right now.
Poor DH took his first final exam today - yes, today, on a Saturday! He has a few others in the next week.

I hope you don't mind me sharing another recipe. I've been experimenting a bunch so I want others to reap the benefits :)

Here's the recipe for Martha Stewart's Spaghetti Carbonara
My comments are in italics.


Ingredients

Serves 6 (I halved the recipe and it was enough for the both of us)

* 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
* 10 ounces pancetta, cut into 1/2-inch dice remove rind if needed
* 1 pound spaghetti
* 1 cup heavy cream, plus more if needed
* 4 large egg yolks
* 2 cups grated (about 5 ounces) Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish (I'd reduce this to 3/4 cup for the half recipe, or 1-1/2 cup for the full recipe)
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions

1. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil and pancetta to skillet, and cook until the pancetta is browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove skillet from heat, and keep warm.
2. Cook spaghetti in boiling water until al dente, about 8 minutes. While spaghetti is cooking, whisk cream, egg yolks, Parmesan, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl until combined. Drain pasta, and return to saucepan. Immediately stir in egg-and-cheese mixture until well combined. Add warm pancetta and fat from pan. Toss well. Thin sauce with additional cream, if necessary. Serve immediately, garnished with grated Parmesan cheese.

1 comment:

Amy Carroll said...

YUM! I think I'm going to try this one! Thanks for the recipe :)