Monday, October 8, 2007

Hula!

Well, I missed one of my most favorite days in Hawaii - the Queen Lili'uokalani Festival. It's really cool because the whole town of Hilo gathers in the Queen Lili'uokalani Park (right on Hilo Bay) and the various hula halau all dance two songs together - and they drop orchids from a helicopter. Plus, add in shave ice and spam musubi... it's basically my version of heaven. It is what inspired me to join a halau back a year ago. My kumu hula posted a video of this year's event on his website... check it out! (Plus that's him chanting - he really needs to record a cd!!)

In my hula school here, we used both 'uli'uli (feathered gourds) and pu'ili (split bamboo sticks). I'm starting to get used to the 'uli'uli (go figure I'd pick that one up first :) ) but the pu'ili is coming a bit slower! Kumu Em can testify that sometimes I can take a little bit longer to teach ;) Someday, I hope to be like the dancers I saw at Kumu Em's uniki...





But I still think I love this song from the uniki more :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

We miss you too! but remember,
"Once a hula sister, Always a hula sister!"
luv ya! -- deb

Beth said...

Hi Julie,
I thought I'd catch up on your life. Sounds like things are going pretty well overall. We miss seeing family. Your time at South Haven sounded wonderful! Stop by Nathan's site sometime and see what we're up to. The link is on my facebook page.
~Beth (cousin)
PS Ellen just started a blog too. I can email you the link if you'd like.

wendy said...

How fun to be in halau! My girls love hula, but I have been to shy to join a group. Maybe in January...

The big island was amazing. I am jealous that you got to live here!