Yesterday I went on base to go shopping at the commissary (still using the bags E got for me - thank you!). It was late afternoon, as I had actually gotten some things done!
I got in through the gate (as I got a new ID card after I left mine in Florida). I drove along the road to the commissary, listening to the music on the radio. Some kids were trying to cross the road ahead. I noticed the driver in the other lane had stopped, so I too, came to a stop and let the kids cross the road. The other driver remained paused, which I assumed meant they knew the kids or were picking them up or something.
I continued down the road, and other drivers were stopped at a light. Even after it was green. This is where I became confused. Of course, the light was less than 1/4 mile away from the commissary. So I pulled in, parked, and then realized they were playing the National Anthem. At 5:00 exactly. DUH! No wonder everyone had stopped what they were doing. I must have looked like a horribly inconsiderate person, trucking along to the grocery store for my orange juice. Not honoring the national anthem on a military base? Ooops. Someone should give me a manual on how to behave on a base. Is there anything else I should know before I completely embarass myself?
2 comments:
I've done that before, too. Sometimes you just don't realize what time it is. I've been places where people actually get out of their cars, which is kind of nice because then it gives you a big obvious clue! Glad you're liking the bags ;)
Yes - I think that the CG is far more practical in their practices than the other services. So, whatever practices we discover on other bases will never really become norms in our life and we will always have to stop and think about them for a second. Just my 2 cents. ;)
Post a Comment