Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Movie Tuesday


Australia the Beautiful

Synopsis from netflix: From ancient, misty forests to canyons that conceal secrets from the age of dinosaurs; from pristine lakes to majestic peaks; and from sophisticated cities to some of the world's greatest wilderness areas, experience all of Australia's dramatic contrasts, dazzling wildlife and glorious landscapes. Highlights include the Great Barrier Reef, Lord Howe's Island, King's Canyon and Lake Eyre ... to name just a few.

Our view: Not the best documentary/travel promotion video I've ever seen. And I really like documentaries. I used to watch them in high school. I found it kind of boring, even though I was eating lunch while watching it. But it was very pretty. Oh, and the "highlights" are pretty much all they show. It did get me excited about going to Australia though (not that I need any more help).




Bride and Prejudice

Synopsis from netflix: Aishwarya Rai, Martin Henderson and Anupam Kher star in this joyous musical about the Bakhsi family, who's celebrating the arrival of a British-born man, Mr. Balraj, who may be perfect husband material for one the Bakhsis' four unmarried daughters -- Maya, Lucky, Jaya and, most especially, their eldest, Lalita (Rai). But Lalita refuses to marry someone handpicked for her, believing instead in true love, which just may be waiting in the wings.

Our view: Make that my view. Dh was watching basketball, and I don't think there's much I could have done to convince him to watch it. I LOVED IT. I love bollywood films, though. This one was great. All of the omissions that made Once an atypical musical are included in this one - breaking out into cheesy songs while walking down the street plus more. Rich, you would hate it. And Rory Gilmore was in it, I mean Alexis Bledel. I love Rory Gilmore. Except in Sin City. But that's another story.






Juno

Synopsis (from netflix): Facing an unplanned pregnancy, teenage Juno (Ellen Page) devises a plan to locate the proverbial perfect parents to adopt her baby. But the seemingly ideal couple Juno chooses still has some growing up to do. Now, everyone in Juno's world must do a little soul-searching. Michael Cera co-stars while Jason Bateman and Jennifer Garner play the pair of affluent yuppies anxious for a child in this offbeat coming-of-age comedy, which won the 2008 Oscar for Best Original.

Our view: We really liked it. We pretty much laughed through the entire movie. At times it is irreverant (a teenager is pregnant), but very cute. I'd recommend it to people who would like Garden State.




Bourne Identity

Synopsis from netflix: A man (Matt Damon) washes up on an island in the Mediterranean Sea, suffering from gunshot wounds and amnesia. He soon realizes he's being hunted down by assassins and that he's very good at killing them before they get him … but the question of his identity perplexes him as he fights to stay alive. Franka Potente co-stars in this action thriller based on Robert Ludlum's novel.

Our view: First of all, he didn't wash up on an island... whatever netflix. Anyway, we tried to watch the second movie on tv and thought it'd be a good idea to start from the beginning. They're confusing enough as it is. We liked it, again. Though I did change into my pj's during the car chase scene. Car chases bore and annoy me.


HWotD:
'alemanaka - calendar
"ah-lee-mah-nah-kah"

No comments: