... come on Newsies fans...
And I'm off to the races again!
That's true folks - I'm going to a horse race. Today was the day of THE horse race, but we're going on Thursday. I'm so excited! I got a new, super-cute dress, a fascinator (a mini-version of a hat or a really expensive bunch of feathers), and am really excited to spend a day drinking champers and people-watching!
So to explain more, Spring Racing Carnival is in full swing. Today, the Melbourne Cup was held. It is appropriately called "the race that stops a nation." In Victoria (my state), the banks, post offices, and several businesses are closed. CO still has school, but today is a holiday. Kids are out of school. Derby Day (another race) was held last Saturday and it was really fun to see ladies in their dresses (frocks), hats (fascinators) and heels. They go all out!
I guess Spring Racing season lasts something like 50 days, and we're in the best week. CO and I aren't going to Melbourne Cup, we're going to "Ladies Day" or Oaks Day. I think it'll be a lot less crowded, at least I hope it will be.
Just a reminder, please go out and vote! CO and I mailed in our ballots what seems like ages ago, and are excited to see how the elections end up... VOTE!! I think you can get a free Starbucks drink if you do! (If that's not incentive enough, I don't know what will be!)
1 comment:
how fun! I love hats, I want to see yours!!
Post a Comment