Saturday, August 25, 2007

We might have friends!

So, last weekend we went to a Sig-O's barbecue. (Yes, I went from being a "dependent," the military's term, to being a Significant Other at dh's grad school, which they shorten to Sig-O. Some day I'll just be a wife. Just maybe.)

Anyway, at this barbecue, we met other people whose significant others are attending the Owen School and therefore, MIA most of the time. (Like today for instance, DH has been studying for like 5 hours now and it's 2:30pm). One of the couples that we connected with has the husband in grad school and then the wife is here. The husband is a former Marine, so he and DH can relate pretty easily. The wife is a former high school and college soccer player and is currently unemployed (much like myself, except she's not looking for a job. But then again, she doesn't get weird rejection letters in the mail like I do either.) She and I hung out the other day - we went out for lunch and then came over to our condo to go swimming in our pool. It was nice. They are Christians too and attend a local United Methodist church.

This afternoon, we're going to pry our husbands away from the library and go to a wine tasting at a local wine store. And then they're coming over for dinner. It's nice to know people :)

1 comment:

Katie @ the terpblog said...

Yay, for new friends! To answer your question, I do try to pass along any good books that I have read, but unfortunatley I don't get to read many these days! The Lost Daughters of China (Karin Evans) is a good one if you haven't read it, and I also just finished another Chinese themed one -- Wild Swans (Jung Chang). In the past, I usually like most everything in Oprah's Book Club too :) I would love to discuss, and maybe find some new books too if you come across some good ones. Let me know!