No, not a fruitcake.
So, back when we lived in DC the first time (6-ish years ago) I was a struggling grad student. I worked full-time, went to school full-time, and was dating this hottie Coastie long distance. I found the "Magic Bus" shortly after I moved into Virginia. The bus stopped at several stops, then outside my apartment building. (Score!) I rode it into DC, and exited at the first stop. I then walked three blocks to work. All for $1.25 each way. It was the bargain of the century. Plus, I met my friend "Jen-from-the-bus" there. We are still friends on facebook (though I'm not sure exactly what that says).
Anyway, one day, I realized they were having a contest for people riding the bus and using public transit. All I needed to do was to write my name and contact information on the entry paper and I'd get a free busride. Yadda, yadda, yadda and they had prizes too... yadda, yadda, yadda. All I was excited about was the free busride! A fare for one way. Not a free month, not a free year. One free ride. I was very excited.
A few weeks later, for my birthday or Christmas, or something, my boyfriend (or possibly fiance by that time), bought me an iPod. I was happy - it would make the rides on the Magic Bus better when Jen-from-the-bus wasn't there.
A few days after that, I received a call from WMATA. I was one of 6 people who had one a free iPod! Apparently they couldn't get the old model, so I got one of the first models of the iPod nano. I promptly returned whatever boyfriend had bought. He loved this. He got credit for giving me an iPod, but still didn't have to actually buy one for me! I got a new iPod. It was definitely a win-win.
Fast forward six years - my iPod is kind of old. I don't really use it any more. We have a new, snazzy iPod and an iHome to listen to it. I don't get to use my iPod like I used to... but I got an email from Apple. Apparently the battery in the first nano is defective. AND SO THEY'RE SENDING ME A NEW iPOD if I send in my old one.
So, as it turns out, this potentially new iPod has given me great happiness in many forms over several years. I got a free ride on a bus, a gift from my (now) husband, and a now new iPod. And to think, what I really was excited about was the bus fare!
4 comments:
Julie, this is a great story!! Lucky you...the funniest part is how excited you were about ONE RIDE...
rolling eyes at you.
why dont i have such good ipod karma!
Haha, love it!
www.rebeccabany.com
Post a Comment