Thursday, December 13, 2007

"Military Spouses earn $900,000"

That stinking email throws me off every time. It sounds so awfully good. Better than the $10/hour part time jobs that I usually can find. The email gets me started thinking about jobs that would earn money, be helpful to others, be fulfilling... But then I read on, and it says "Did you know that a bachelor's degree will earn you $900,000* more over the course of your career?"

Um. Yes, a bachelor's degree probably will help you earn more money. And about that $900,000 - did you see the Barry Bonds asterisk in there? Once you follow that down to the bottom of the page, it's over a person's career, assuming they start working at birth and die, working, at age 107. Perhaps I exaggerated slightly, but it's still bad.

My theory is that now that I have a masters degree, my earning potential is actually inverted, due to my obviously "overqualified" self. So, not only can I not get jobs, I also have to pay off my student loans too.

Thanks, military.com for getting my hopes up.

1 comment:

Ellen said...

Yeah, I saw that article too. Maybe it's just how much we're WORTH ;)